RE: Wordprocessors in Korean

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 23:04:34 EDT

JS2> : On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Jungshik Shin wrote:
CP> : On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Chris Pratley wrote:
JS> : On 2001-07-13, Jungshik Shin wrote:

JS> BTW, Microsoft (Korea) made a public annnouncement that it would
JS> support Middle Korean in the near future (in MS-Windows and MS-Word)
JS> and it would be great to get that support from one of major OS/word

CP> Actually, Word2000 and Word2002 support Old Hangul (which I think is
CP> what you refer to as Middle Korean - please correct me if I am wrong).

JS2> I don't understand why this can't be done if you're supporting
JS2> syllable composition using U+1100 Jamos? Due to lack of fonts? How about
JS2> 'incomplete syllables' (such as 'ICF' + 'medial vowel' + final consonant
JS2> where 'ICF' denotes initial consonant filler) or 'stand-alone' medial
JS2> vowels or final consonants?

 By 'ICF', I meant u+115f (Hangul Choseong Filler) and by
stand-alone medial vowels and final consonants u+115f followed by any
of medial vowels and u+115f,u+1160 (Hangul Jungseong filler) followed
by any of final consonants, respectively.

JS2> BTW, does MS IE 6.0 support Hangul syllable composition with Hangul
JS2> Jamos in U+1100 block? (see <http://jshin.net/~jungshik/i18n/middle.html>)
JS2> Maybe, this has to be asked to somebody else in Microsoft, does it?

  Perhaps the same question, but from a bit different perspective,
I'm wondering if this support of Middle Korean (with old Hangul
consonants/vowels) is a part of 'Uniscribe' in Windows XP (and thus was
done along the same line as Indic/Thai/Lao script support) and is
(will be) available to other application program writers. Or, is it
specific to MS Word(Office)?

  Jungshik Shin