Re: How strong is rule 1?

From: Rick McGowan (rick@unicode.org)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 02:33:12 EDT

> Was such encoding done due to some historical reasons in the past?

Yes. The rules for future allocation were formulated many years after
thousands of "questionable" codepoints were already encoded in the early
days. Usually, these things (presentation forms, ligatures, compatibility
codes, etc) came from old standards for compatibility reasons (round-trip);
some codes were added for political reasons (to satisfy some voting member or
some country's representative), etc. Many different reasons.

> Could there be exceptions in the future in similar cases?

I hope not. As I have said at some point in the past, perhaps much less
politely, the existance of unwanted codes is not an excuse or reason for
encoding more of them. We can always strive to improve, but we cannot
correct some of our past actions.

        Rick