Re: RTF language codes

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 19:51:24 EDT

From: "jgo" <john@nisus.com>

> "The following table defines the standard languages used by Microsoft.
> This table was generated by the Unicode group for use with TrueType
> and Unicode.

> I don't see such a table via search from the Unicode site.
> Is this just another M$ non-standard "standard" subject to
> change at a whim? (Does the consortium have anything to do
> with it at all?)

This is probably a less than fair characterization.... this is a feature
that has existed for Windows for at least the entire lifetime of Win32
(perhaps even longer?) and has never changed, ever. In fact, the team at
Microsoft which owns these codes is required to keep a degree of stability
that is quite phenomenal, since there are so many MS products that depend on
the values. Even in MLang and their new NLS extensions in the .NET CLR
(common languags runtime) there are methods to obtain LCIDs.

> Since I'm trying to use it with MacOS 9-, how does this fit
> with Apple's script and region codes... or does it? (And
> where can I find those, if so?)

There are two out of date pages that discuss the codes on the Unicode site:

http://www.unicode.org/unicode/onlinedat/languages.html
http://www.unicode.org/unicode/onlinedat/countries.html

These pages are in the process of being updated as we speak.

In any case, if you really want information about LCIDs then MSDN is still
the place to go. See the following links for interesting charts that are
mostly up to date, provided by the scripting folks at MS:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/script56/html/vsmscLCID.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/vbscript/doc/vsmsclcid.htm

Or you can get it from the Platform SDK docs

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/intl/hh/winbase/nls_8xo3.asp

and the pieces that make up LCIDs:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/intl/hh/winbase/nls_61df.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/intl/hh/winbase/nls_19ir.asp