Re: e-mailing Unicode

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 07:21:22 EDT

From: "Craig Cameron" <ccameron@lennox-mckinlay.co.uk>

> I am trying to develop a MS Office 2000 application for
> e-mailing Unicode throughout Europe in all available
> languages and alphabets including Extended Latin, Greek
> and Cyrillic character sets. I'm aware that Office2000
> supports Unicode

It does; for Access it is the first version that does so, for Word the
second, and for Excel the third....

> and I believe that Arial Unicode MS is the most comprehensive
> character set,

I think this is overkill. Fonts like Tahoma will fully support the languages
in question. Arial Unicode MS is over 20mb and includes support for CJK and
Indic scripts that are not used in Europe and are not on your list?

> but when I mail this, I lose certain characters depending on the
> route I choose to send files. Do you know of any "bullet-proof"
> ways to both send and receive Unicode text files (in Excel, Word
> and Access), as e-mail attachments, without the danger of loss
> or corruption of characters?

You will have to be more clear on what you mean and what is, in fact, lost.
I have no problems including text in Greek or Cyrillic in Access or Word and
sending the docs and the databases around. Neither Word nor Access are
"text" formats, they are binary formats that contain some textual
information. None of that information is lost if you send around the docs or
the databasess or the spreadsheets directly. Can you explain what means you
are using to send the files around?

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.