Names of languages each expressed in their own language

From: William Overington (WOverington@ngo.globalnet.co.uk)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 05:28:01 EDT

I wonder if there already exists, or could we devise, a list of the names of
languages each expressed in their own language please.

It would be helpful if the Unicode Consortium might kindly include such a
list on its website, as that would then give the list considerable
provenance for accuracy.

I feel that such a list would be a useful reference source, for example, for
preparing menu pages for software applications where the dialogue could be
offered in a number of natural languages. The specific dialogue for each
natural language could be added in a separate file by individual translators
as time proceeds, yet the menu page needs to be set up initially.

I put forward here an initial suggestion for the format of each entry,
though I am not expert on the intricacies of languages and if other people
would like to improve upon my initial suggestion then that is fine.

Initial suggestion:

Each entry consists of the following.

Name of the language expressed in English.

Name of the language expressed in the language, expressed using 7 bit ascii
characters, transliterated if necessary.

Name of the language expressed in the language, expressed using the alphabet
in which the language is expressed, using U+hhhh notation for any characters
which are not ordinary 7 bit ascii characters.

Name of the language expressed in the language, expressed as a Java string
using the alphabet in which the language is expressed, using \uhhhh notation
for any characters which are not ordinary 7 bit ascii characters.

Name of the language expressed in the language, followed by a full stop
character or whatever is the equivalent way of expressing in the language
and its alphabet that which in English is called a full stop, expressed as a
Java string using the alphabet in which the language is expressed, using
\uhhhh notation for any characters which are not ordinary 7 bit ascii
characters.

I am aware that there may be some international standard way of denoting
languages using perhaps three latin characters. I am unaware of the
details. It would be helpful to include such information in the entries in
the list.

----

The separate entry with the full stop character added is suggested because once languages that do not use the latin alphabet are encountered, the way to do this is not obvious to a person who does not know the language.

William Overington

www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo