Re: Opentype support under Liunx

From: Yung-Fong Tang (ftang@netscape.com)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 18:52:23 EDT

I think you need to define "support" first.
FreeType know how to parse both "TrueType" and "OpenType" font format, but
that is just a library that application can call to give a string and a
font and get a bitmap of rendering result back. Which mean you cannot use
the email X window text drawing api with it.
As X Window protocol itself, I know the recent X window Font Server can
handle TrueType font so you can use the normal X11 Text drawing api to draw
those text. However, the protocol itself do not give the client a way to
access the TrueType or OpenType table inside the fonts, which a lot of
time, people really need.