TOP/BOTTOM HORIZONTAL BOX LINE: new characters?

From: Eric Muller (emuller@adobe.com)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 18:03:12 EDT

I am wondering whether to propose two new characters. The goal is to have a consistent set of characters to represent the four sides and four corners of a box.

I looked at the Box Drawing block, but there are a few problems with those:
 - there is no distinction of top or bottom; there is a single character (U+2500) for both. Similarly for left/right.
 - there is a distinction between LIGHT and HEAVY, which I don't care for
 - the block is full

I looked at the Block Elements block, but there are a few problems with those:
 - there are no corner characters
 - the best candidates for the sides are UPPER/LOWER/RIGHT/LEFT ONE EIGHTH BLOCK, and I don't really care for the "ONE EIGHTH" part; another way to say it is that I am not really looking for blocks.

I looked at the Miscellaneous Technical block, where we have U+23b8, LEFT VERTICAL BOX LINE and U+23b9, RIGHT VERTICAL BOX LINE (both proposed for Unicode 3.2) as well as U+231C-231F, TOP LEFT/TOP
RIGHT/BOTTOM LEFT/BOTTOM RIGHT CORNER. This is almost perfect: what is missing is TOP HORIZONTAL BOX LINE and BOTTOM HORIZONTAL BOX LINE.

What I am wondering is whether it's better to propose those two new characters, or to ask for alternates names for U+23BA, HORIZONTAL SCAN LINE-1 (alternate name: top horizontal box line), and U+24BD,
HORIZONTAL SCAN LINE-9 (alternate name: bottom horizontal box line)?

Thanks,
Eric Muller.