RE: Position of 1 and 0

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 15:29:37 EDT

Michael,

I was over simplifying. If you look at the older teletype keyboards you
will notice that the shift is between letters (mono case) and figures. You
will also see three rows of keys. With 5 bit encoding you had a letters and
figures shift. If I remember correctly the space and charage return line
shift were unshifted. This left 28 code points for letters. Numbers were
part of figures.

This was a revolution. Not only did you have to have separate 0 & 1
characters but the big change was that space was now a character and not a
positioning mechanism. This paradigm shift was hard for some people.

Carl