Re: Egyptian Transliteration Characters

From: Mark Davis (mark@macchiato.com)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 10:20:56 EDT

Of your three issues:

1. LATIN CAPITAL LETTER H WITH LINE BELOW

2. something that looks like a right half ring with a tail egyptologists
have represented it with something that looks like two right half rings
stacked on top of each other.

3. a capital and small glottal stop and reversed glottal stop

For (1), they are already representable in Unicode, as you state. The policy
is not to introduce new precomposed characters, because of normalization
stability. A new precomposed character is disallowed in NFC, so it would end
up being decomposed in NFC systems in any event: with XML, etc.

For (2), (3), we would need a submission with documentation of usage. We do
add capital/small versions of characters when there is sufficient evidence
of their usage. This happens, for example, when an IPA is pressed into
service in the regular orthography of a language.

To submit a proposal, go to www.unicode.org, click on "submitting proposals"
(you may already be following that, since it recommends discussing proposals
on this list!)

Mark
—————

Δός μοι ποῦ στῶ, καὶ κινῶ τὴν γῆν — Ἀρχιμήδης
[http://www.macchiato.com]