Re: Deseret keyboard (was:Re: Special Type Sorts Tray 2001)

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 10:49:13 EDT

From: <DougEwell2@cs.com>
> Well, careful now. The language is English. You mean "someone who uses
the
> script."

Yes, that is what I meant... I was referring to users of the script. Though
I suppose if they were going to try to tackle the original inner and outer
plates it would not be English but that ne'er-well-defined Hebrew written
with Egyptian heiroglyphs? :-)

> I tried creating a Deseret keyboard for (and with) SC UniPad, using the
> Dvorak keyboard layout as a loose model. By that I do not at all mean
that I
> mapped Latin letters on the Dvorak keyboard to "equivalent" Deseret
letters,
> but rather that I put the most common letters (as determined from a large
> chunk of text in Deseret) on the home row and relegated the least common
> letters to Alt+Gr (Ctrl+Alt) combinations. The biggest problem, of
course,
> is that there are 38 of the buggers and so these Alt+Gr combinations are
> necessary.

Yes, very much so. Seems kind of unwieldy using a keyboard, unless someone
who actually uses the language gave some frequency data on where THEY wanted
keys...

> My keyboard is all right, I guess, but it is completely my own invention
and
> I really know nothing about the engineering that goes into proper keyboard
> design. I'd feel better with something designed by someone who had a
clue,
> and/or something that has seen some actual use. Not that there are an
awful
> lot of users, mind you.

Well, you could always ask them, I suppose? :-)

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.
http://www.trigeminal.com/