RE: Deseret keyboard (was:Re: Special Type Sorts Tray 2001)

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 17:56:37 EDT

Carl:

>I was the chairman of the keyboard standards committee for ACCESS.bus
which
>was the predecessor the USB....

>Had they done a better job you could really use the
>field in the device driver and be able to use two keyboards with
different
>keyboard language layout codes.

I wasn't thinking of someone using multiple hardware keyboards. Would
anyone want to switch from one language to another by shuffling physical
keyboards on their desktop? I don't know.

> However Intel got impatient and developed the
>USB standard. Unfortunately they only reserved 8 bits for the keyboard
>language identifier.

Now, this interests me in relation to a completely different topic. The
USB standard supports language IDs? Where can I find out more about that?

>I am not clever enough to figure out how to
>encode 6700 language in 8 bits.

Certainly not at once!

>It is even worse because you can have
>different language layouts. For example there are several very different

>French keyboard layouts.

I convinced myself recently that specifying keyboard layouts needs to be
done in terms of identifier pairs: one ID to specify a
language/writing-system-encoding (e.g. Azerbaijani in Cyrillic Unicode vs.
Azerbaijani in Roman Unicode) together with a particular keyboard layout
(where a given layout determines a mapping from keystroke sequences to
codepoints, and might possibly be used for more than one writing system).

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>