Re: [OT] ANN: Site about scripts

From: Rick McGowan (rick@unicode.org)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 11:51:51 EDT

Doug Ewell wrote...

> Cyrillic was created as a better way to write Slavic languages, Russian in
> particular. Shavian and Deseret were created as better ways to write
> English. The former met with overwhelming success, the latter did not

It's usual to bind "former" and "latter" to the closest preceeding pair of
items, which led me to think you were talking of Shavian versus Deseret,
and that was moderately confusing. Shavian certainly can't be counted an
overwhelming success when compared to Deseret...

In case anyone else is boggled... "Former" actually refers to Cyrillic and
"latter" to Shavian and Deseret together.

        Rick