Re: [OT] ANN: Site about scripts

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 08:46:53 EDT

At 00:53 +0200 2001-10-12, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

>I've used "siniform" here in the sense "having deliberate graphic
>similarity to Han, though not necessarily any systematic/structural
>similarity". This use was adopted from Bright&Daniels (p. 189), and
>if there is anything wrong with it I would like to be corrected.

I don't think Hangul is siniform, just because it groups things in
notional squares, any more than I think Mongolian is siniform because
it writes in vertical columns.

Tangut, Kitan (small and large), and Jurchin are siniform. Naxi Geba
might be considered siniform (or at least sino-influenced), though
Naxi Tomba are hieroglyphs pure and simple. Nüshu is siniform.

--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com
Telephone +353 86 807 9169 *** Fax +353 1 478 2597 (by arrangement)