Re: Hangul script type: (was Re: [OT] ANN: Site about scripts)

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 13:38:48 EDT

On Sat, 13 Oct 2001, Jungshik Shin wrote:

> double consonant.) It's also featural at a lower level. The shape
> of basic consonants - Giyeok [k/g], Nieun [n], Digeut [t/d], etc - were
> devised to 'imitate' the shape of 'vocal organs' when they're pronounced
> consonants close in terms of pronunciation are similar to each other in
> their shapes as well. This was recorded in Hun-min-jeong-um (a book

  I was wrong about the reference. I was uncertain
and I should have checked it. It's not Hun-min-jong-um but
Hun-min-jong-um-hae-rye (Explanations and examples of the correct sound
for the instruction of the people) where this explanation of the origin of
the shape was given. The former was published under King Sejong's reign
but the latter was published *a few decades after* the formal announcement
of Hangul. This means this origin theory is very convincing but not
as definitive as what I wrote before. Here's the excerpt from Ross King
in Daniels and Bright:

  .....Despite numerous thories attempting to link it to,
or derive it from, other scripts (there are no less than ten different
"origin theories'), the most convinving theory of the letter shape origins
remains that given in the Hwunmin cengum haylyey(HCH) 'Explanations and
...... people', which was lost and not rediscovered until 1940. According
to the HCH, the basic consonant shape for each of the five places of
articulation is based on a graphic representation of the speech organ
involved.
  The vowel signs were organized on a completely different basis, and
given a metaphysical rationale. Each vowel sign was made up of one or
more of the three elements, Man, Eath, and Heaven.

  Jungshik Shin