Re: FW: A product compatibility question

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 14:43:15 EDT

In addition to Mark's response on this general topic, I note:

> - Finally, this would only be of critical importance in a single
> document containing more than one language (in particular both
> Traditional and Simplified Chinese) which is probably rare.

"Traditional Chinese" and "Simplified Chinese" are *not* two
different languages.

It doesn't seem to matter how many times we repeat this -- people
unfamiliar with the details always seem to get it wrong.

Simplified Chinese is Chinese written with the simplified orthography
promulgated by the PRC (and adopted in Singapore).

Traditional Chinese is Chinese written with the non-simplified
orthography that preceded the PRC simplification changes, and
represents usual practice in Taiwan and the HKSAR.

The TC/SC distinction is an artifact of legacy choices made for
encoding characters and implementation of text in East Asian
computer systems. It is *not* a language distinction, and should
not be tagged as such.

--Ken