Re: converting Unicode text into Unicode codes

From: DougEwell2@cs.com
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 01:41:19 EDT

Nobody seems to have touched this one yet...

On 2001-10-22 at 15:35, Vadim Khaskel <vkhaske@tcsi.com> wrote:

> I have question regarding tools available to convert Unicode
> text into Unicode codes. We work on enhancement of our current product
> and one of the new features is "Internationalization". Please let me
> know if you may heard of such a tool.

As Addison Phillips says in his signature block, "Internationalization is an
architecture. It is not a feature."

You should clarify what you mean by "convert Unicode text into Unicode
codes." All computerized text, in Unicode or any other character set, is
represented as a sequence of codes. If the text is already "Unicode text,"
then by definition it is already encoded in "Unicode codes."

If you have text in another encoding, such as Latin-1 or Windows CP1252 or
EBCDIC or whatever, and wish to convert it to Unicode, there is a handy tool
called "recode" available as free software on the Internet.

If you already have Unicode text and wish to view the Unicode scalar values
of the text (e.g. you want to display "Hi" as "U+0048 U+0069"), somebody
could probably whip up a quick Perl script to do this.

But I think you need to explain more clearly what it is you have and what you
want.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California