RE: Enabling and testing surrogates

From: John McConnell (johnmcco@windows.microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 13:10:10 EST

Windows XP has some modest improvements for surrogate support. The info may not be on MSDN yet, so here's a summary:

- there are just two optional language packs (one for East Asian and one for the rest). If either is installed, usp10.dll (Uniscribe) is installed and you'll get surrogate processing. You can still enable surrogate processing the old way if you don't want to install any of the optional language packs.
- We've got a limited form of font-linking in XP. It's driven by a few registry entries:

     HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\LanguagePack\SurrogateFallback\Plane1
     HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\LanguagePack\SurrogateFallback\Plane2
     HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\LanguagePack\SurrogateFallback\Plane3
     Etc.

The value of each of these is the OpenType font that GDI will link to if it encounters a surrogate pair on the appropriate plane and the current font doesn't have the glyph. XP doesn't include any fonts with non-BMP glyphs yet, so the registry values are still empty by default.

The same font file may be used as the fallback for two or more planes. The fallback font must be an OpenType font with a cmap table with format 8, 10, or 12. If the Unicode Character does not exist in the fallback font specified by the registry, Uniscribe performs no further font-linking or fallback (i.e. the user sees the default glyph for the current font).
- NLS (CompareString etc.) has limited support for surrogates. In particular, CompareString and LCMapString will assign weights to the first two and last two planes.

What I've described will affect Win32 apps (e.g. Notepad). Behavior within an app or some system components may be different.

John