Re: YO, ho ho, and a bottle of vodka

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 18:46:40 EST

Rick,

> Lars M. G. wrote:
>
> > I thought you'd mistyped it ('g' is next to 'f' on the keyboard), but
> > presumably it was Larissa Bonfante who hit the wrong key, and not you.
>

> Meanwhile, we have three contenders for the name: Ruca, Ruga, and Rufa.
> And people are now citing relative Google hit counts (!?) as the ultimate
> authority on Latin history and spelling of personal names? Times are bad
> indeed.

It isn't just random Google hit counts we're talking here. First
of all, Michael Everson himself is a trained Indo-Europeanist, and
one of the hits is to his own site!

And then there is the the course prospectus for Römische Sprachtheoretiker
at the Indogermanisches Seminar der Universität Zürich, taught by
George Eugene Dunkel, a student of Benveniste himself:

"... Unser Blick reicht von den ersten Schriftreformen unter
Appius Claudius Caecus and Spurius Carvilius Ruga über die sukzessiven
Beiträge von Ennius, Accius, Lucilius, Aelius Stilo, Varro, Nigidius
Figulus, dem Auctor ad Herennium, Cicero, Julius Caesar,
Verrius Flaccus, Remmius Palemon, Plinius Secundus, Valerius Probus,
Quintilian, Sueton, Gellius, Terentius Scaurus, Velius Longus,
Festus, Aemilius Asper, Nonius Marcellus, Marius Victorinus, Donatus,
Charisius, Diomedes, Servius, Martianus Capella, Priscian bis hin zu
Isidor und Paulus Diaconus im 8. Jh."

I think we might be excused in thinking that this might be a man who
knows the correct names of Latin script reformers and linguistic
theoreticians.

--Ken