Stupid question: what are half marks?

From: Bernard Miller (forunicode@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 13:13:27 EST

Hello,
Presumably they are single diacritic versions of the
double diacritics but there's not a cross reference or
informative note or decomposition or anything in the
code charts to link them. Also, for some reason
"inverted breve" is called "ligature", and there is no
half mark equivalent of U+0362. I'm also wondering why
they have their own block. I can't find any
explanatory information about half marks in the
Unicode 3.0 book or the combining marks FAQ, maybe it
would be a good thing to add.

Bernard