restricting the meaning of characters over time

From: Eric Muller (emuller@adobe.com)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 14:26:24 EST

Let's rewind to 1996. I encode a document, and I want a math "less-than or
equal" character. The picture I want for it has the equal bar slanted.
Looking throughout my Unicode 2.0 standard, I conclude that U+2264,
LESS-THAN OR EQUAL is what I want (with a font that happens to have a
variant glyph compared to the code chart glyph).

Let's fast-forward to the day were Unicode 3.2 is published, and I encode a
follow-up document. Should I continue to use U+2264, so that my users get a
consistent search-and-replace behavior, or do I try to be modern and switch
to U+2a7d, LESS-THAN OR SLANTED EQUAL, which seems more appropriate?

Thanks,
Eric.