Re: PostScript glyph names outside plane 0

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 17:20:31 EST

At 02:22 11/15/2001, Kevin Bracey wrote:

>Version 1.1 (Dec 1998) of Adobe's Unicode and Glyph Names document says
>"Guidelines for naming glyphs that represent supplementary Unicode characters
>are being revised". Does anyone know what the result was? I'm going to need
>to start putting some CJK Extension B glyph names in my font encoding tables
>very shortly.

The guidelines were revised, but the results have not been published yet. I
believe this is simply due to no one at Adobe having found the opportunity
to update the website, and not to any late changes.

My understanding, based on correspondence with Sairus Patel at Adobe, is
that the existing form

         uniXXXX

is now reserved only for BMP characters, derivatives and ligated glyphs, e.g.

         uniXXXX.alt
         uniXXXXYYYY

For non BMP characters, scalar values are used in the same way but with the
prefix 'u': *

         uXXXXX
         uXXXXXX

Derivatives are identified in the same way as before:

         uXXXXX.alt

but ligated forms must use the underscore indicator as used with AGL names,
in order to avoid ambiguity:

         uXXXXX_uXXXXX
         uXXXXX_uniXXXX

* The 'u' prefix and ligating indicator can be used for BMP characters
also, but since some existing software already parses the uniXXXX form
names it is probably best to stick with these for the BMP. The 'uni' prefix
will only be interpreted as a BMP character, BMP derivative or ligation of
BMP characters.

I will try to find out from Sairus when Adobe might be updating this
information.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

I see this guy named Typography in the shower one morning,
the lightning bolt of epiphany striking as he rubs the suds from
his eyes, 'That's It! I'll redefine myself - she'll have to notice me!'
                        Dean Allen, www.textism.com