Re: Suggestions for next print edition

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 13:57:44 EST

11-digit boy suggested:

> 1. Unicode points are NUMBERS. Numbers can be written in ANY base.
> Knowing decimal values of codepoints is sometimes useful, so please
> print them in the next edition of the Unicode book.

The UTC has already decided not to do that, as it clutters up the
charts. Hexadecimal is far more useful to most implementers of
the standard. Hex/decimal conversion is only as far away as the
little calculator accessories available on any OS these days.

> 2. There was a Shift-JIS index for kanji. I don't know much about
> kanji, but it seems to me that they are arranged in a-i-u-e-o order
> of on'yomi. Why not print little hiragana letters at the top to aid
> people searching for a kanji?

Again, this is not the function of the charts. The radical/stroke
index is available for general lookup, but we cannot provide phonetic
indices, too, for Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese lookup.
You can always search the big Unihan.txt file on the kJapaneseKun
and kJapaneseOn fields, which provide whatever information we have
on pronunciation of the characters in Japanese.

If you are just stuck looking up stuff because it isn't marked up
for Japanese, try getting Sanseido's Unicode Kanji
Information Dictionary, which has the first 20,902 kanji in Unicode
(the most useful set) all marked up with all the Japanese pronunciations
(where they have any). I suspect that Sanseido will soon be
updating that dictionary to include Vertical Extension A, as well.

--Ken