Astral planes again (was: RE: Plane One use, was Re: HTML Validation)

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 13:15:51 EST

Rick Cameron suggested:

> Would it be useful to have one term for planes 1-16 and another for all
> planes above the BMP? Perhaps the former are astral and the latter
> celestial. ;^)
>
> (I'm half-serious, since according to my suggestion UTF-16 can encode all
> astral characters, but not all celestial ones!)

The last time around in the discussion about the astral planes,
I warrant one of the favored terminologies was:

Planes 1-16 "astral planes"
Planes 17 and up: "ethereal planes"

--Ken

P.S. Those character encoding souls of a more mundane bent, however,
have rejected the poetry in favor of "supplementary planes" for
Planes 1-16 -- and we don't talk about the other planes. I suppose
they could revert to "unnamed planes", or merely, "Here be dragons."