Re: New plane 1 page for testing your browsers

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 00:40:53 EST

James, thanks. That reminded me. I also generally use the validator
before posting a page and also found it failed the validator but worked
under X-User-Defined. That pushed me in that direction.

tex

James Kass wrote:

> Martin Duerst wrote,
>

> > > I don't understand why this page uses x-user-defined as a charset.
> > > Labeling it as US-ASCII would be perfectly correct.
> > > The 'charset' only applies to the binary encoded characters, not
> > > to NCRs.
> > >
> > (I wrote,)
> > It would be perfectly correct and might even allow the page to
> > sport one of those "valid-HTML" gifs from W3.
>
> But it doesn't. Just tried changing the charset on an NCR Deseret test
> page from UTF-8 to US-ASCII. Both charsets fail on the W3 validator
> because the NCRs are out of any recognized range.
>
> I'd thought that it should pass validation earlier as UTF-8, since it *is*
> both ASCII and UTF-8. So, no valid-HTML gif for this page yet:
> http://home.att.net/~jameskass/deserettest.htm
> It has the charset set to UTF-8 now.
>
> Best regards,
>
> James Kass.

Tex Texin                    Director, International Business
mailto:Texin@Progress.com    Tel: +1-781-280-4271
the Progress Company         Fax: +1-781-280-4655
For a compelling demonstration for Unicode:
http://www.geocities.com/i18nguy/unicode-example.html