Re: Tengwar added to Plane1 Unicode Demo Page

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 16:59:28 EST

Rick's right, of course.

Perhaps if the experimental aspect of the page were stressed
and a strong warning were given, it might be slightly more
acceptable?

Maybe the ConScript PUA encoding could be added to the BMP
demo page. But, there are many people (some on this list, even)
who vehemently oppose the PUA and reject ConScript. (I've
always thoroughly enjoyed the ConScript Registry.)

The traditional way to display Tengwar is to use any of the many
fine Tengwar "custom-ASCII" fonts, which many people on our
list might find even more objectionable than Plane One or Conscript
PUA.

The bottom line is that there is just no way to display Tengwar
which is going to please everyone at the same time. (Graphics,
well... in-line graphics spark objections, too. For one thing,
they aren't text, are they?)

So, my take on Tex's Plane One demo page is: he's damned if he
does and ignored if he doesn't. Etruscan, Gothic, Deseret, and
even the Math alphabets just aren't very commercial. Tengwar,
on the other hand, is very commercial. Especially right now,
what with the movie tie-in and a whole new generation of fans.

This is Tex Texin's page and Tom Gewecke's submission. If anyone
has any constructive suggestions or ideas on this matter, they
will most probably be appreciated.

Best regards,

James Kass.