Re: Tengwar added to Plane1 Unicode Demo Page

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sharif.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 08:20:49 EST

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Tom Gewecke wrote:

> >But shouldn't you write his name in Cirth? I think that was the script
> >Hobbits used. Quoting <http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/mdtci.html#DTS7>:
> >
> >"'I cannot read the fiery letters,' said Frodo" (LR 1 II:73), and
> > Gandalf explained that "[t]he letters are Elvish, of an ancient mode,
> > but the language is that of Mordor" (LR 1 II:74).
>
> Tengwar (or Cirth) could probably be used to write any of the languages of
> Tolkien's world.

But the page is demonstrating how someone writes her/his own name.

> My impression is that Hobbits spoke Westron [...] and did use Tengwar to
> write it.

But if Frodo knew Tengwar, why does Gandalf tell him that "the letters are
Elvish"? Doesn't 'letters' translate to 'script', in Unicode terms? But
again you may be right: by letters he may mean the font style. They look
very different than other Tengwar samples in the book.

roozbeh