Re: GBK Traditional to Simplified mapping table

From: DougEwell2@cs.com
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 01:07:21 EST

In a message dated 2002-01-10 20:04:50 Pacific Standard Time,
ken@transpac.com writes:

> So I'm still looking for a GBK-to-GBK mapping table that maps
> traditional forms of Hanzi to their simplified equivalents.

The issue of mapping between traditional and simplified Chinese characters
was debated at great length recently on the Internationalized Domain Names
(IDN) mailing list. It seems like a great idea, but it is simply not
practical. A great many TC characters do not have a 1-to-1 mapping to SC,
and vice versa. Far from being a simple operation like Latin case mapping
(to which it was compared), TC/SC requires potentially complex analysis of
the text being converted.

This is the opinion of many experts within, as well as outside, the Unicode
standardization effort, and it is the reason you will not find a Unicode
TC/SC mapping table.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California