Re: Q: "smEthiopic" in Apple Localization Codes

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 18:44:25 EST

On Friday, January 11, 2002, at 03:47 PM, Daniel Yacob wrote:

> langInuktitut = 143 // Inuit using smEthiopic script
>

> Taken literally "Inuit using smEthiopic script" is not a high probability
> scenario. Not that I wouldn't recommend Ethiopic to the Inuit ;)

One of the limitations of the old Mac OS script manager is that scripts
were identified by a code that was limited to 0-31, with the meaning of
the codes assigned long before many of these scripts were implemented. In
such a case, someone trying to develop a script system for the Mac which
is *not* in the list of 32 scripts would have no choice but to hijack one
of the existing codes and reuse it for their own purposes.

In this case, there's clearly an Inuit system for the Mac out there which
has hijacked the Ethiopic script code in the absence of any other that
could be used.

John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com
jenkins@mac.com