Re: Question

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 21:26:18 EST

> Hello. I am looking for help with Unicode. I was recently told by my credit
> card processing company that I need to Upgrade my site to unicode 3.2 in
> order to get a perl script working.

There has got to be a disconnect here somewhere. Unicode 3.2 hasn't
been released yet, and won't be for another 2 months (approximately),
so nobody is *officially* implementing it yet. And I find it
hard to believe that an existing perl script would fail to
work if you don't upgrade to a version of Unicode that isn't even
published yet.

> I was wondering how I might be able to
> do this. I have no idea how to install or find the lastest version of
> unicode.

You *find* information about the latest version of Unicode on
the Unicode website. See, in particular:

http://www.unicode.org/unicode/standard/versions/index.html

The current version of Unicode is Unicode 3.1.1.

And you don't *install* Unicode. It isn't software, but a
standard that people write software to implement. So it is
possible that you need to install upgraded versions of some
kind of software (including possibly the OS or your webserver
or some other critical piece of software) that can handle later
versions of the Unicode Standard. (And which work with whatever
version of Perl that you need to use.)

--Ken Whistler