Re: Re: Hindi characters for transcribing the sound "e"

From: Dhrubajyoti Banerjee (dhrub@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 15:33:28 EST

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 Aman Chawla wrote :

>This is the kind of thing I am looking for: a 'special composite matra' to
>write a new sound in Hindi, imported from English. Mark Davis suggests
>that: "I just checked with the ICU online demo at
>http://oss.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/icu/t-
>r, and "e" is transliterated as U+090E "ऎ" DEVANAGARI LETTER SHORT E*. "

I think the DEVANAGARI LETTER SHORT E is the closest you can transcribe the
'e'(as in bed). The character was invented for transliterating to Tamil,
Kannada, Malayalam and Telugu. However a native hindi reader would not be
able to pronounce it.
The closest you can come in existing 'true' Devanagari is either DEVANAGARI
LETTER E(and corresponding vowel sign) or DEVANAGARI LETTER AI(and
corresponding vowel sign) both of which, although ambiguous, are
interchangeably used to write the English words you mention.
On the other hand the Bengali Zophola(pronounced Jofola in Bengali) had
already existed in written form.