Re: The benefit of a symbol for 2 pi

From: Robert Palais (palais@math.utah.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 15:10:20 EST

Thanks Rick,

That's why I brought it up here, to get unofficial feedback!

As a matter of credit- the suggested \newpi symbol was not mine but
due to Richard Palais (mathematical adviser of Leslie Lamport (LaTeX)
and Mike Spivak (AMSTeX/Joy of TeX) at Brandeis). In \TeX :

\def \newpi{{\pi\mskip -7.8 mu \pi}}

suffices. My only suggestion was that Unicode offer its users a
single symbol for one of the fundamental constants of math and
natural science, the circumference of the unit circle, 6.28...

Most people think \pi seem to think \pi was an ancient Greek invention.
The historical accident of 3.14... is described in the article, and dates
to the 1700's - the Euler chose to simplify Periphery/Diameter, in their
Greek spellings, \pi \over \delta rather than the competing
Periphery/Radius, or \pi \over \rho

Bob