Re: Fun with UDCs in Shift-JIS

From: Lars Marius Garshol (larsga@garshol.priv.no)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 11:07:17 EST

* Lars Marius Garshol

| The problem is what to do about the rest of the range. Lunde
| suggests mapping to the Unicode PUA, but I don't think this is what
| the people using these characters in web pages expect that mapping.

Well, that's what I thought, anyway. But now my Japanese colleagues
tell me that Japanese users sometimes have to define their own
characters in their own fonts in order to be able to write some
characters they may need (for example to write their own name), and
that the UDCs may be intended for this.

The question is, does this mean that a web browser should convert
these characters into Unicode PUA characters so that people can do
these kinds of tricks? I would have thought that this was a no-no, but
if Japanese users actually need to do this...

--Lars M.