Re: The benefit of a symbol for 2 pi

From: Barry Caplan (bcaplan@i18n.com)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 12:53:19 EST

At 10:06 AM 1/18/2002 -0700, Robert Palais wrote:
>Which seems to make Unicode a defender of the status quo. Inaction is
>as political as action. "We are holders of the standards
>for the technology for encoding symbols, and we won't admit new symbols
>until they are widely used..." not necessarily the intent, but possibly
>the impact - that evolution of symbolic communication will be hampered?

I think anyone is free to have other competing standards, and there have
been other strong ones during the lifecycle of Unicode (ISO 10646 for
instance).

No one doubts that there are other characters that would be useful to
encode. But the original concept of unicode as a 2 byte encoding leaves 64K
code points. Unicode as a group quickly found out that was not enough to
make everyone happy. As it is, the standard is rife with kluges in the
encoding scheme.

The limitation of characters to those that are in current use is related in
large part to the code point limitations and partially to the desire to
prioritize work. It takes the same amount of work to add a character or
group of characters regardless of whether or not those characters will be
used. there are plenty of characters which exist in the literature that are
not ended in Unicode, and in fact are specifically excluded: those of
written but dead languages. Newly proposed characters at least have a
process: get them in use and addition to Unicode will be easy.

In your case, one way to go about that may be to build a (probably pretty
straightforward) script that searches out instances of 2pi in tex and word
files, etc., and replaces them with "newpi" references. Create a font which
has this character (maybe where the pi is now, or as a user defined char?).
Make it easy for folks to get and use these tools. Soon there either will
or will not be a substantial body of literature using newpi instead of pi,
and a large discussion of why and how its adoption in math texts should
happen. Once that is in place, I do not think you will be disappointed by
the Unicode group.

Right now "newpi" seems like a meme that is likely to die to the Unicode
folks. Show otherwise, and life will be easy, as it was for the "euro"
proponents.

Best,

Barry Caplan
www.i18n.com <-- coming soon, sign up for features and launch announcements