Re: The benefit of a symbol for 2 pi

From: Robert Palais (palais@math.utah.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 16:09:46 EST

> This is the same situation as having one person in town be the mural
> painter and another be the news photographer. Is every news photographer
> required to paint murals, too, or be otherwise accused of hampering
> artistic evolution?

That seems to be the wrong analogy. The question is whether the news
photographer photographs the mural. Certainly looking at the US for
profit news media, vs. say, the BBC, it is obvious that it matters.
I didn't want unicode people to do math, but it might even be apparent to
those who encode symbols that the overwhelming usage of the single
symbol pi is in the conceptually natural combination 2 pi (are there any
other examples) and this would better be done in half as many bits ;-)

The two points below raise the question to me, is popularity/use
the criterion or not. From one hand, I am hearing that it is THE
criterion, and from another it is not. I've always felt the majority
is not always right, nor is history.

I'd even support the inclusion of a copyleft symbol ahead of \newpi!

        Bob