U+05C4

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 16:55:45 EST

I'm wondering what U+05C4 HEBREW MARK UPPER DOT is supposed to be used
for. Specifically, I'm trying to make sense of two characters that I know
are used and that are similar in appearance, and determine which (if
either) is 05C4. There's a hundreds mark - a dot placed over consonants to
indicated that the numerical value of the consonant has a multiplier of
100. Then there's the punctum, which is found, for example, in Genesis
33:4:9. The punctum has a diamond shape in the BHS, which makes me
inclined to think that 05C4 is the hundreds mark and not the punctum.

I'm guessing that 05C4 came into Unicode from an Israeli standard. Does
anybody know if that's the case and, if so, how the corresponding
character in that standard was used?

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>