Copyleft (was: Re: The benefit of a symbol for 2 pi)

From: DougEwell2@cs.com
Date: Sat Jan 19 2002 - 14:41:25 EST

In a private message dated 2002-01-18 1:03:05 Pacific Standard Time,
juuitchan@hotmail.com writes:

> And what is wrong with copyleft?

The symbol wasn't in general use in plain text, only as a logo (e.g. on
T-shirts and bumper stickers) promoting the Free Software cause.

I should not have used the copyleft symbol as an example of the UTC and/or
WG2 not wanting to make a social or political statement. I had no basis for
making that claim. However, the lack of usage in plain text was an
appropriate reason for not encoding it.

Like newpi, the copyleft symbol would probably be worth a second look if its
proponents could gather enough, and diverse enough, examples of its usage.

(I apologize to juuitchan for quoting and responding to his private message
on the public list, but felt the response might be of general interest.)

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California