Re: Devanagari

From: David Starner (starner@okstate.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 20:43:25 EST

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 07:39:57PM -0500, Aman Chawla wrote:
> The point was that a UTF-8 encoded HTML file for an English web page
> carrying say 10 gifs would have a file size one-third that for a Devanagari
> web page with the same no. of gifs

The point is, that the text for a short webpage is 10k for English and
30k for Devanagari, the HTML will be another 10k for English and another
10k for Devanagari, and the graphics will another 30k for English and
another 30k for Devanagari, meaning that the total will be 50k for
English and 70k for Devanagari - 40% markup, not 200%. Adding a 150k
graphic would make it 200k for English and 220k for Devangari, making it
a 10% markup.

--
David Starner - starner@okstate.edu, dvdeug/jabber.com (Jabber)
When the aliens come, when the deathrays hum, when the bombers bomb,