Re: Devanagari

From: Guntupalli Karunakar (karunakar@freedomink.org)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 07:22:25 EST

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 23:57:29 -0500
"Aman Chawla" <creativezeal@hotmail.com> wrote:

> With regards to South Asia, where the most widely used modems are approx. 14
> kbps, maybe some 36 kbps and rarely 56 kbps, where broadband/DSL is mostly
> unheard of, efficiency in data transmission is of paramount importance...
> how can we convince the south asian user to create websites in an encoding
> that would make his client's 14 kbps modem as effective (rather,
> ineffective) as a 4.6 kbps modem?

 Leave that most dont even have modems as that matter PCs, they use cybercafes, having 8-10 users on a 33Kbps one
 And AFAIK (execpt the sites containing sanskrit manuscripts) no indian language website uses even ISCII , text there is in some adhoc font encoding. So pages cant be indexed by a search engine, you cant save page & read/print it later.
        Tools created (actually most use just Frontpage) to making indian lang webpages, dont even save pages in ISCII, leave alone export to ISCII.
        Unicode solves lot of these issues, but existing vendors of ind lang software would find it inconvenient, as they cant lockin users to their products.
 Lot more can be said but I would go offtopic (I think I am already ;-).

Regards,
Karunakar