Re: [Very-OT] Re: ü

From: David Starner (starner@okstate.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 21:36:59 EST

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 09:20:25PM -0500, Patrick Andries wrote:
> th (dh or th)

There's a handful of minimal pairs, but they can all be indentified by
the final e; teeth vs. teethe, breath vs. breathe. Most other cases it
really doesn't matter which you use.

> disappearance of r in British English ...
> silent h (honour, philharmonic), etc.)

This is a huge part of the problem with phonetic English spelling. It
would annoy me to no end if someone reformed the spelling and decided
that my pronounciation, which used to correspond to the spelling is now
substandard. They put those r's there for a reason! (They being suitably
vague, of course.)

--
David Starner - starner@okstate.edu, dvdeug/jabber.com (Jabber)
What we've got is a blue-light special on truth. It's the hottest thing