Re: [Very-OT] Re: ü

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 08:13:52 EST

Michael Everson scripsit:

> Um, when was the last time h was aspirated in French?

In native words, [h] was surely gone by the 2nd century
in all the (pre-)Romance vernaculars.

But in French words of Germanic origin (e.g. "hanche"), or those
remodeled under Germanic influence (e.g. "haut"), probably
[h] fell around the 14th century; it's hard to be sure, since
Middle French spelling is very unphonemic. This is the so-called
"aspirated h", which still blocks liaison even though it is
quite silent now.

In Spanish, [h] < [f] fell around the 16th century.

> By the way, I pronounce the h in philharmonic.

Tant pis. :-)

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
Please leave your values        |       Check your assumptions.  In fact,