Re: Issues with Unicode Hindi

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 13:40:13 EST

At 21:32 1/23/2002, Dinesh Agarwal wrote:

>Is Microsoft doing anything to improve their publically distributed
>version of Arial Unicode MS? The UTC should press them to do so. Also,
>does anyone know if the Mangal font is available in the public domain?
>Microsoft should be asked by the UTC to have Mangal included with all
>future versions of Internet Explorer, by default, or something to that effect.

It is not the UTC's job to petition members to provide specific support to
users of older operating system versions. Microsoft distribute Mangal with
Windows 2000 and Windows XP, both of which operating systems provide
extensive Indic script support. Obviously they view support for Indic
scripts as an incentive to upgrade to these newer versions of the OS, and
Mangal and other Indic fonts are part of that incentive.

With regard to enhancing the Arial Unicode font, Monotype were scheduled to
make a presentation on this subject at the Unicode conference in San Jose
in September. I didn't make it to the conference, because my flight was
cancelled due to the WTC attack, and I don't know whether this presentation
took place. Anyone?

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

... es ist ein unwiederbringliches Bild der Vergangenheit,
das mit jeder Gegenwart zu verschwinden droht, die sich
nicht in ihm gemeint erkannte.

... every image of the past that is not recognized by the
present as one of its own concerns threatens to disappear
irretrievably.
                                               Walter Benjamin