Re: Wade -> Pinyin transliteration (Unihan ?)

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 19:38:51 EST

Patrick,

> Let's assume I want to "transliterate" a large Wade-Giles database into
> pinyin. It this a purely algorithmic process? For all nouns ? Common and
> proper (cf. Chiang Kai-Shek vs Jiang Jeshi )? Even for "dialectal" words?

Mostly, but not completely. (Note that "Kai-Shek" is not standarard Mandarin
name, and won't convert to pinyin. The Wade-Giles for pinyin "Jieshi"
would be "Chieh-Shih".)

I suggest you visit the Library of Congress Pinyin Conversion Project
page:

http://www.loc.gov/catdir/pinyin/

and then contact them regarding their process and issues.

In particular, Wade-Giles romanization practices are not all
consistent, so you are bound to run into edge cases.

> Would any data in the Unicode database help me in this process?

I don't think so.

--Ken