Re: Wade -> Pinyin transliteration (Unihan ?)

From: Patrick Andries (pandries@iti.qc.ca)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 23:22:30 EST

John Cowan wrote:

>Patrick Andries scripsit:
>
>>Let's assume I want to "transliterate" a large Wade-Giles database into
>>pinyin. It this a purely algorithmic process? For all nouns ? Common and
>>proper (cf. Chiang Kai-Shek vs Jiang Jeshi )? Even for "dialectal" words?
>>

>"Chiang Kai-Shek" isn't Wade-Giles; it isn't even Mandarin.

I did mention "dialectal" forms (I believe final -k does no longer occur
in Mandarin), I just wondered whether I would find such nouns (proper or
common) in dictionary edited in Taiwan. I asked because I could see no
algorithmic way of converting this name using traditional Wade to Pinyin
tables.

Incidentally, if this is not Wade-Giles applied to a "dialectal"
pronunciation, what is it? Geniously interested.

Patrick Andries

PS : Thank you for the National Library of Congress pointer.