Re: Shamrock

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 15:37:35 EST

At 11:41 1/29/2002, Otto Stolz wrote:

>- Is there a difference between the clubs (card suit) symbol
> and the (Irish) shamrock symbol, in terms of character
> classes -- or, otherwise, could these be treated as glyph
> variants?

I think what Michael is talking about is a botanical symbol, which in at
least one Irish text is represented by a glyph that looks like a shamrock.
Personally, I don't think that the form of such a character would
necessarily be limited to the shamrock shape, and I certainly do not think
it should be unified with a character that represents a playing card symbol.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

... es ist ein unwiederbringliches Bild der Vergangenheit,
das mit jeder Gegenwart zu verschwinden droht, die sich
nicht in ihm gemeint erkannte.

... every image of the past that is not recognized by the
present as one of its own concerns threatens to disappear
irretrievably.
                                               Walter Benjamin