Re: RFC: Extended Ethiopic

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 22:20:03 EST

Daniel Yacob scripsit:

> The Quality and Standards Authority of Ethiopia is now requesting
> public input on the proposed national syllabary. Note that the
> closing date for comment submissions is the 2nd of March:
>
> http://www.qsae.org/web_en/Standards_info/Drafts.htm

I suggest that you revise the English name of the standard
to "Ethiopic Character Repertoire" in order to align with
international standards. A (coded) character set is understood
to be a mapping between characters and integer values.
Although "set" would be mathematically correct in the sense
used, "repertoire" is the term used in character standards
for a set of characters.

Even clearer would be to say "Ethiopic Character Repertoire and
Ordering", but that may not be necessary.

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There