RE: Introducing the idea of a "ROMAN VARIANT SELECTOR" (was: Re: Proposing Fraktur)

From: Yves Arrouye (yves@realnames.com)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 03:54:56 EST

> quite a lot of space. However, Fraktur is already encoded in the
> Mathematical whatever-it's-called block. This variant selector would mean
> that lots of characters can be displayed in two *different* ways. I'd
> prefer
> that Fraktur diacritics were added instead, and that the mathematical
> letters were to be used for Fraktur texts.

I hope not. These were encoded there because they convey a specific meaning
when used for mathematics. If you use them to spell out names, then you're
abusing them and potentially confusing software that would rely on their
mathematical semantics.

I think it's time to have another proposal for French, FRENCH VARIANT
SELECTOR, where we do not use Fraktur but some other font variation. And we
may need a QUEBEC VARIANT SELECTOR if they have different rules... Or should
it be a QUEBEC FRENCH VARIANT SELECTOR to show the relationship?

YA