Re: Unicode and Security

From: Mark Davis (mark@macchiato.com)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 11:13:42 EST

> >Outlook Express, at least the version you are using, has a bug;

This is not a bug; it is specifically cited in the Bidirectional
Conformance section of Chapter 3 as one of the ways a higher-level
protocol can override the BIDI algorithm. I otherwise agree with John
about the perversity (perversion ;-) of the examples.

> change products or to change the standard and use
> a reversable bidi.

The BIDI algorithm is not reversible, and could not be made reversible
without eliminating features that are important to the bidi community.
This was considered at the time the bidi algorithm was developed.

This thread is a waste of time.

Mark

—————

Πόλλ’ ἠπίστατο ἔργα, κακῶς δ’ ἠπίστατο πάντα — Ὁμήρου Μαργίτῃ
[For transliteration, see http://oss.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/icu/tr]

http://www.macchiato.com