RE: "plain text" and plane 14 lang tags (was RE: Introducing the idea of a "ROMAN VARIANT SELECTOR")

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 12:50:59 EST

Peter Constable wrote:
> On 01/30/2002 05:09:13 AM Marco Cimarosti wrote:
>
> >In plain text, I think that plane 14 language tags could be used
>
> It seems to me that such usage confuses the meaning of "plain
> text". Use of the plane 14 tagging characters to indicuate
> language would be markup
> -- metadata that is separate from the content and that has
> some impact on how the content should be processed. It's just
> a coincidence that the markup uses distinct characters from
> the content.

I agree that there is a possible confusion between plain text and rich text,
but I wonder whether that confusion is to be sought in my sentence or in...
plane 14 itself.

In fact, such a mark-up would be made by using some *characters* present in
a *plain-text* encoding standard. So, it is rather a case of overlap between
plain text and rich text.

Similarly for other cases, e.g.: BIDI override and embedding, font variants
(for mathematics etc.), width variants for space characters, etc.

_ Marco