FW: Using Unicode Characters in ASCII Streams

From: Magda Danish (Unicode) (v-magdad@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 13:32:10 EST

Begin forwarded message:

From: rdeking@kbs.kaba.com
Date: 2002-02-05 10:44:20 -0800
To: info@unicode.org
Subject: Using Unicode Characters in ASCII Streams

Hallo,

we are a manufacturer of time and attendance terminals which are transfering data using 8-Bit character streams (ASCII + Latin 1 which is a subset of Unicode: 0000 to 00FF). Because of the history and the future compatibilty it is not possible to change to 16-Bit characters used with Unicode. But we want to use European Latin A (0100 to 0170) and Extended Latin B (0180 to 01FF) expansions for east Europian countries. So it must be possible to add any Unicode character to the 8-Bit streams. Now we are looking for a standard method to do so.

Now here is my question: Is there a method to add any Unicode character to a 8-Bit ASCII stream?

Example: The Polish word "wyjs´cie" with character "Latin Small Letter s with Acute" (015B) in the middle (s´ is one character)
          We want to transfer something like this: "wyj\u015Bcie"; here we use \u015B like coding in Java (our standard development language)

          Now it is possible to decode the two characters "\u" and the following four characters as one Unicode character. But we know this is not a standard!

It is our intention to use use a standard way. If there is a standard maybe defined by Unicode Organisation it would be nice to hear about it.

If this is the wrong contact please forward this request. Thank you.

Regards,

Reiner Deking
Kaba Benzing GmbH, Germany