RE: Bar codes using unicode

From: Hohberger, Clive (CHohberger@zebra.com)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 10:47:28 EST

Thanks, Arnold.
Good time for an update...

The public domain specification (an AIM International Technical Standard)for
black/white Ultracode(R) will be released sometime this year, probably
around 4Q2002. We will have prototype encoding (UTF-8 to symbol graphic) and
codeword-to-UTF-8 software available for anyone to try in 2Q2002. I'll send
out notice of availability of the current draft spec and software to the
Unicode list as soon as it is ready.

Color Ultracode uses the same data encoding internal engine as monochrome
Ultracode but 1x9 colored tiles rather than 2x9 B/W tiles. This spec will
probably run about 6-9 months later.

Both versions support UTF-8 input/output and can address all codepoints on
Code Planes 0-16. Internally, the encoding has sophisticated compaction
modes for decimal numerics and delimited numeric strings, 7-bit ASCII/ISO
646, a wide range of 8-bit character sets (such as the ISO 8859/x series,
etc.; using 8-bit I/O), Unicode single-Row alphabetic languages, BMP and
multiplanar CJKV encoding.

It is a Reed-Solomon error-correcting barcode designed for rough service and
high damage applications. It can be printed and direct marked using almost
any technology, including a stencil and spray can! Several companies have
expressed interest in developing imagaing scanners for it. Zebra
Technologies will have it available in its bar code printers by the end of
the year.

Anyone with a potential application or who wants to do a field trial should
contact me off-line. I'll be delighted to help!
Cheers,
Clive

Clive P Hohberger, PhD
VP, Technology Development